If you want to connect with a younger generation (particularly between the ages of 16 and 24), TikTok is one of the most dynamic, valuable channels in your marketing mix. Here are some tips on how to create fun, fresh video content that uses the TikTok algorithm to your advantage.
1. Leverage trending hashtags and audio
Leverage the current trending hashtags and sounds (music!) to help bump your videos into the feeds of your users organically. The ‘For You Page’ is where you want your videos to land, and using ‘trends’ is a fast, fun way to achieve it.
2. TikTok videos tend to perform better with shorter lengths
The duration of your videos should differ depending on if they’re destined to be Ad, or an organic TikTok. Successful ads are typically between 21-34 seconds, while organic TikToks tend to perform better with shorter lengths. Making a higher volume of shorter videos allows you to identify what’s working and what’s missing the mark more efficiently. Being able to react quickly and double-down on the content that is performing is crucial to leveraging TikTok.
3. Tutorials, How-To's and humour perform well
Beyond the current trends, there are a few styles of videos that perform really well on TikTok. Tutorials and How-To videos are fantastic for gaining interest in your services, offering unique templates for framing your informative video content in fresh ways. Humour is particularly important in your TikToks, especially when you’re targeting a younger audience – try not to get too stuck in your brand guidelines when you’re conceiving ideas, or the pop culture moments and trending jokes will zing right past you. TikTok is an entertainment platform!
4. Always mobile first
TikTok is designed for mobile devices, so here are the specs that TikTok say you should follow for your business content:
- Sound On: Including music tracks, sounds, or other audio gets results. Over 93% of top performing TikToks use audio.
- Full-Screen: Videos that use a fullscreen 9:16 ratio see a 60.5% lift in impressions.
- Vertical: Users don’t want to turn their devices to see your content. Shoot your videos vertically to see a 40.1% lift in impressions.